I decided to play along and pick my one word for 2012: understanding.
Understanding ADD and the impact it has on me, my kids, my marriage, and my friendships. What I’ve learned so far makes explains so much about myself and I can’t wait to dig deeper.
Understanding the intricacies of new job responsibilities, responsibilities that I think I want to take on permanently.
Understanding where I’m at my spiritual walk and how my Heavenly Father wants me to move forward.
Understanding social media and savvy blogging and how to make it work for me. Who knows, I might even manage to blog something that isn’t 3in30 related. 😉
One of the things I’ve already come to understand about my ADD is that I work best in short bursts. That’s why 3in30 worked so well for me last year, when I made my goals small enough to be attainable and not so broad that they only left me overwhelmed.
I’m already participating in several challenges this month and don’t want to overload myself again like I did last year. 31 Days to Pray for Your Spouse started today, and both Hello Mornings and Bible in 90 Days start January 16th. I chose not to lead or host any of the challenges now, to gain better focus ~ and understanding! ~ of whatever it is the Lord has planned for me.
With that in mind, I spent a lot of time debating over what I wanted for my first month’s goals. It was never a question that I wouldn’t have them, as I’m learning that small goals and projects are what help keep me focused. I decided not to include spiritual goals this year, as that should be my number one priority day. I also decided not to include the things that fall into one of the other challenges as that just seems to be counterproductive.
So here are my goals for January 2012.
1. Recipe binders. I have 2 binders already filled with sheet protectors and dividers, I just need to collect all the loose paper copies, sort them, and insert them into the binders.
- Week 1: Gather recipes. There’s no telling where all I have them stacked at.
2. Start 5K training. Our high school is having a 5K fundraiser for our graduating class on March 3. That gives me 9 weeks to complete an 8 week program. M-W-F will my training days and I know I can do this.
- Week 1: Charge the iPod, leash the dog and run. No excuses!
3. Organize my kitchen. We added new furniture and new appliances to an already messy and chaotic kitchen. It drives me crazy to work in there when I can’t find what I need. So I’m going to clean it up and clean it out and retrain my kids to keep it that way.
- Week 1: Spice shelf; it’s what bugs me the most